Monday, March 29, 2010

Backyard Birding..


Front-view of setup
Originally uploaded by chipnjo1999
My daughter has taken interest in my little hobby this year. My goal is to set up a feeding station that caters to many types of birds common to our backyard locale. I will try and document the process, with some reviews and photos, of the challenges and higher points of this hobby as I get more involved. I hope my daughter will make some entries, too.

Katelyn is 9 and seems to be enjoying learning about the bird types, listening to their songs, and waiting for the babies to come around. However, she still thinks squirrels are cute (I plan to let her make up her own mind).

A lot of time has gone into which types of feeders to install. And, I can already tell this will become a bit of an obsession over time simply because I enjoy doing the research, and I enjoy learning more about these common birds.

For instance, in this picture, you see two feeders. The left feeder has black oil sunflower seeds inside, which attract a general population of songbirds from cardinals to chickadees to sparrows. The feeder on the right is a little more specialized. It contains niger (nyjer) seed. Nyjer seeds attract the finches. Finches like both sunflower and nyjer, but tend to prefer the nyjer. So, this gives them their own feeder so they don't have to fend off bigger birds, which they won't attempt.

You can also see the birdbath back by the fence. Water is obviously a key ingredient to life. Providing it near feeding stations will increase the diversity and numbers of birds you will see.

This is a very basic setup....for now. However, there is a vision behind all of this. And, you will see it documented and explained as I work towards getting everything established.

No comments:

Post a Comment