Friday, January 15, 2010

Punk Funk..


Punk Funk..
Originally uploaded by chipnjo1999
This was a shot of a "face" that isn't human. I love the commercial depicting these, and they seem easy enough to find. However, they aren't easy to find. They seem to require a "vision" we don't normally use when looking at everyday things.....sort of like how a comedian comes up with his material. Either you see it or you don't. Sometimes the vision can be learned, which is what I am trying to do with these "faces."

Anyway, I am going to add some other stuff to the blog as we go along, too. As I said in the intro, I am a pretty big poker enthusiast, and I have discovered a new game to play.....and, a pretty easy one at that. The hyper-turbo tourney. These are filled with action....and fish. And, that is what good poker players look for.....fish. Those people that don't care about getting better, or that think poker is just for the lucky with little skill involved. Those people are the fish. And, over time, they literally buy houses for the pros. For me, they pay my taxes. And, I love them!

I mostly play fixed limit Texas Hold'Em. I used to play a lot of no-limit hold'em, but I feel the fixed limit games contain more fish. So, about a year and a half ago, I started studying the fundamentals of fixed limit games. The differences are subtle, like softball and baseball, but they are important to know.

However, last year, I got a little stagnant with the limit games and found a batch of tournaments called Double-or-Nothing Sit-N-Gos. Those babies were a gold mine for me. The tournament sits 10 players and when the field gets whittled down to 5, the game stops. The 5 "winners" split the "losers" cash. If you can finish in the top half of tourneys most of the time, these are like printing money. Well, at first, these games were full of fish. Eventually, all the sharks found them, and the fish busted out....or got bored. So, the games dried up a bit. I went back to my limit games.

But, the other day, I did a google search for some strategy articles, and found an interesting article on these Hyper-turbos. Shazaam! Crappy players LOVE action, and the structure of these tourneys lends to just that. So, I read up a little more, and dabbled last night.

I found them to be as advertised....full of fish....but, I couldn't seem to get to the winner's circle often enough. I wasn't losing much, and the sample was very small, but I wasn't seeing the results like I thought I would.

But, today was a little different story. I played in 26 of them in about 2 hours, total. And, banked just over $24 by playing the $3.80 tourney level. That comes to about $12/hr. I think $8/hr is sustainable, so we'll see.

I will post more on these as I test them out. But, for now, they seem like a great way for a player to earn some money fairly quickly while sitting around watching some TV. Who doesn't want to get paid to watch TV?

No comments:

Post a Comment